- 1 chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 large onions, preferably of 3 kinds, like one yellow, one white, and one red
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 hot red pepper
- 1 sweet green pepper
- 2 good handfulls of whole okra, stem ends trimmed
- 2 crumbled Maggi cubes or 1 teaspoon Vegeta or 1 cup of chopped mushrooms soaked in 1/8 cup vinegar, depending on how natural you like your glutamates
- 1 heaping teaspoon (about a 1 cm section) finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- a pinch of clove
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon gray salt
- 2 tablespoons palm oil, ghee, or animal fat
- Mix the salt, cumin, celery seed, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and ginger together, and rub them into the chicken as well as possible.
- Heat the oil in the bottom of a pot, and sear the chicken until it is almost going to brown.
- Add the onions and peppers, and sweat them until the onions are almost clear.
- Then add the okra, and toss it so that it gets a bit of direct cooking.
- Then add the garlic, and toss it a bit.
- Add enough water to cover everything plus a couple of centimeters.
- Cover, and bring it to a boil on high heat.
- When it's boiling well, stir, and turn the heat down to low.
- Let it simmer for an hour and a half to two hours, or until the chicken and okra are as tender as you'd like.